For maximum security, cryptographic protection of data is essential at all network nodes where information is transmitted, and the devices where it is stored. VIPole solves this problem by creating a closed system where strong encryption protects data on several levels.
Strong encryption algorithms such as AES-256 and RSA 3072 are used by default for encrypting all types of information in VIPole. They are considered to be impossible to crack even if supercomputers worked on this issue for thousands of years.
Communication channels and network traffic
Communication is performed through the channels that protect all client-server-client connections by TLS (Transport Layer Security).
The data that the users exchange is encrypted end-to-end, which means that information encrypted on the sender's device is decrypted only on the device of the receiver. It is impossible to get access to user data on VIPole server.
Data protection from unauthorized access or interceptions during transmission through the server is performed as follows:
- Text messages and files are packed in encrypted containers before being sent to the receiver. Only the sender and the receiver of the data can decrypt these containers.
- Audio and video calls are performed by data streaming that is encrypted before transmission at the network traffic level with the keys that are known only to the information sender and receiver.
The data is transmitted to VIPole server encrypted and is stored there encrypted:
- All user information, including history and files, is stored on servers encrypted with the public key infrastructure.
- Only the users who own the keys can access this data. Access of third parties who don’t have the necessary keys is impossible.
During file transfers and audio and video conversations VIPole uses the technology of network tunnels that allows to encapsulate the packets of the applied network traffic inside the transport network traffic packets. The network tunnel acts as an intermediary in the transmission of user traffic between VIPole client applications.
The network tunnels of VIPole servers are used as:
- The intermediate network node through which VIPole users exchange data when they cannot establish the direct communication channel. For example, both VIPole client applications are located behind a NAT Gateway (NAT – Network Address Translation) or a firewall. Direct communication channels between client applications may be required for audio and video conversations and file transfers.
- The replicating network node that sends received network packets to multiple network nodes participating in the tunnel, for example, during multiuser audio and video calls.
User’s computer or mobile device
Information on VIPole users' devices is encrypted using the PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) so that only the sender and the receiver of the information can access it, regardless of what VIPole servers and services it is transferred through:
- History of private and group chats, call history, notes, reminders, passwords, and user tasks on the device are stored in the encrypted database.
- User files synchronized on the device are stored encrypted.
- Access to files on computers is performed through virtual drives, and on Android and iOS devices, the files for reading are decrypted to temporary folders, which are automatically cleared after use.
Additional data protection features
- Managing history. In VIPole, you are always in control of every sent message and file with features for editing and deleting messages, the self-destruct mode for messages and instruments for partial or complete chat history removal.
- Remote control of connections. VIPole allows to control self-connections and shows all currently connected devices. You can disconnect devices remotely, set auto lock and auto logout and use emergency protection modes.
- Managing the contact list. In VIPole, only you decide who can contact you and you choose your online status. Configure contact list settings in order to protect yourself from strangers. For this purpose, VIPole has hidden contacts, blacklist, individual visibility settings for contacts, and adjustable authorization.
- Personal data protection. VIPole provides a number of tools for additional user identity protection and secure data access: IP masking, virtual keyboard, voice tone changing during calls, history clearing on device and restoring it from the server.
- Group account owner’s admin panel. When VIPole is used for team communication and collaboration, the system administrator can set unified safety rules for all employees’ accounts. The admin panel allows to control the connections of group account members to the server, set access restrictions for documents and disable secret phrase saving to protect data in case of device control loss.
* For Free account users, the opportunities for encrypted data storage on devices and security management are limited, read more.